Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Z-Ray

RoF Speculate on what's coming.

All the first 4 Nations already have units fitting into these categories:

-Hero (+sidekick) #1

-Hero (+sidekick) #2

-Officer #1 (line)

-Officer #2 (elite) 

-Line infantry #1

-Line infantry #2

-Transport

-Elite #1 (flight pack)

-Elite #2 (heavy/light infantry)

-MG

-Field Gun

-Light Armour (tankettes/bikes)

-Heavy Support

So here's my guess on what will fill out our ORBAT

Thanks to Codename: Iron Scorpion we already know about a few RoF units:

(Line Officer, Legionaries, Armoured Marines, MG, and Transport Truck)

Pre-named characters are not my thing, I prefer to make my own so no thoughts there.

The Elite officer depends on the elite choices later but probably a flight pack guy.

We have seen the line infantry, sweet-sweet heat-ray goodness and kepis :)

I was hoping we would get a skimming transport (sort of a cross between the Alma and a WW2 landing craft) but that wouldn't be described as a truck so no luck there :(

So far everyone has a flight pack squad as an elite choice so a safe bet there,

the other elite slot is evenly split between Heavy infantry (KoB Dragoons, PE Knights) and Light infantry (FSA wilderness section, EotBS ninjas) RF has Heavy Armour and I can see CoA having the heavy Iron Men shown in renders leaving us with some sort of light skirmishers to even the numbers out.

We have seen the MG, I like the way the triple barrel mirrors the DW French AA guns.

For the field gun, the easy way out is a heat lance (which would look sweet and match the PE Tesla) I believe we will get a triple-barrel bombard like on the Epulard

but who knows, it could end up being a rocket battery like from the Chevalier.

Once again the light armour section is split between the tankette and bike types and I think we will end up with a bike(probably skimming) that mirrors the fluff that Alma captains are promoted from the spahi fast cav.

Heavy support is obviously the Hotch (lovely looking tank too)

Super heavy? I don't know of anything  that matches the Faust.

What do you think will be released to bring the RoF up to par?

I've been playing the FSA since release, but the RoF really seem to be taking over their role as the mobile shooting army while they appear to be moving away from mobile firepower.

Neil did mention that there will be a sapper hero with a sidekick enhancing the ability to throw explosives. The 'elite' officer for both EotBS and KoB are already jetpack troops and it could be likely for the FSA to have an air cav officer as well (at least the concept art specified that although I'd prefer treadbikes). We'd need to know the other elite options before having an idea which should get an officer.

I've been wanting Zuoaves for another unit although I thought they would be better as a light/forward line infantry like the Black Watch, but they could definitely fit in the role of elite troops.

Alex Mann did mention that the RoF would be getting aeronauts on his blog after his game at Spartan back in February, although we have no knowledge on how they will work.

I was originally thinking that heavy melee cavalry resembling the Cuirassiers would be very interesting and fun... Although I think that light jetbike mounted Spahi cavalry would be more fitting and I'd love the tie-in with DW.

The Hotch is a definite inclusion, although I don't know how it'll fit within the spectrum of small tanks.

I agree that a Heat Lance field gun would be easy, but I'd personally prefer mortar like on the Epaulard.

I was just thinking about it too. While a heat lance has lots of checker and coolness I find myself preferring a standard cannon-esque field gun. I keep being reminded of the rapid fire 75mm cannons the French had in ww1. That and corrosive munitions. For the truck I am think a flatbed lorrey kind of vehicle. 6 tires or some such. Maybe even a half track. I am looking forward to the hotch ironclad as well.

I too am hoping that we get Zouaves as either a light elite unit or a line infantry unit for the french.

Are we not also looking to see Sappers? In which case, Sappers as Elite, Zouaves as line infantry.

If we're looking for "Move and Shoot", then a pack mortar for the artillery piece is a good fit, and would work well with the Corrosive Munitions option.

(Perhaps a 3-man crew for the mortar - one to carry the baseplate, one the tube, one the Ammo, giving the unit 3LP to compensate for it's shorter range than other artillery, and options for HE and Corrosive shells as ammo types. )

Skimmer Cavalry, perhaps?

Well going off what's out for lather nation I guess the RoFs second elite choice will be walkers like the KoB dragoons!

Why - every nation has an aeronoght unit. PE & RC (from pictures) have a heavy armoured knight unit. EBS & FSA have bikes.

So that gives us...

Legionary office

Flying officer

Napeoleon & Josephine

Engineer & his monkey

Legionaries (standard line)

Marines (equiv to FSAs armoured line)

Jump pack unit

Walking cav

Field artillery

A tank from DW small tank token

Transport model

I'm very much hoping we see Zouaves, probably as Light Line Infantry. They just have such a specific look that if 'upgraded' with some additional steam-punk style goodies would be just epic. :P

Sappers would be great as a Veteran Unit too. Axes, some big beards, maybe some more-solid-than-usual armour (4 IR, 2 LP) and lots of explosive type weapons!

Heat Lance seems too easy as a field gun, so scratch me up as another triple-barreled bombard type field gun.

I personally would rather not have mechanical walkers like the KoB for the RoF cavalry.

I would think that bulky armored walkers could make sense for a unit of Sappers, but depending on their inclusion I could more easily see those as a Support choice. 

@OP, I like the idea of the Spahi, but I was looking for the fluff that mentions Alma captains being drawn from the ranks of the Spahi to see how it actually refers to them but I can't find it. Where did you see this?

I do wonder if the RoF will have transitioned their light cavalry into the aeronaut role like the KoB did with Hussars and the FSA Air Cav.

I know that I originally thought that the Zuoaves would be better as an option for a Line section but I think with the Marines being line troops it makes it less likely for the RoF to get 3 Line Section options. 

What kind of animals would they ride? Sabercat saber cav?

Which nation does Darwin have the closest affiliation with? Because I think there may have been some background with him bioengineering animals or something like that.

@OP, I like the idea of the Spahi, but I was looking for the fluff that mentions Alma captains being drawn from the ranks of the Spahi to see how it actually refers to them but I can't find it. Where did you see this?

If I remember correctly, it was in Storm of Steel as part of the bio for the African officer (I think he lead the skimmer attack on Brittania) I will check the books when I get home.

Incidentally it was the picture of that officer that led me to name the ships in my RoF navy after characters from Alexandre Dumas's "The Three Musketeers".

In the real world Dumas's father was a black officer in Napoleon's army and despite military success was in disfavor with Napoleon, disfavor that extended to his son's books.

I figured since the Dystopian world seems more egalitarian Both the elder and younger Dumas could be celebrated.

Which nation does Darwin have the closest affiliation with? Because I think there may have been some background with him bioengineering animals or something like that.

Nah, just horses.

Give a classical nod to the way the world was...and then give them ray guns.

That background was from 1.0, and has vanished in more recent editions, meaning it has (hopefully :P ) gone away. It was a little too fantastical for the Dystopian world for my tastes. :P

Now, just because SG doesn't mention that Darwin exists and is performing experiments in the DW2.0 rulebook doesn't mean that he has been retconned. It just means that Darwin wasn't deemed important to the storyline defined in the rulebook.

That said, I really would not care for them either...

I truly don't think I'll be interested in the cavalry if they're mounted on "beasts" whether they be horses or genetically engineered creatures.

I love using my Treadbikes and I was notorious for fielding bike squads in "that" other game. I just don't know how the horses would work within the game.

Darwin was missing from 1.1 too from memory. :P

I'd actually like some horse-mounted cavalry. Otherwise we are just going to have everyone mounted on variants of bikes, and that would just be boring... Cover them in some sturginium-plate armour and you've got yourself actual steampunk cavalry. :D

Dont forget to give them extra MAD & LP to represent the horses but not IR over the standard LI

Also the Towering MAR & a new MAR... Spooked - first time the a unit within x" either fires or is fired upon take a moral check or gain shaken markers

:P

Speaking of steampunk and Darwin. Read Scott Westerfields leviathan series. It's YA but has amazing pictures and the setting is fantastic. Picture DW in the imperial bond and Darwinian genetic engineering and theory with flying whales for the Brits. It's worth a read. Anyway back on topic.....

I know I am painting or will try to paint many different nationalities is my French and CoA especially my fluff for y French is African raiding you can see my paint scheme in my gallery so far I only have up my Vauban

The thought of mechanical horses occurred to me too but I agree with those saying that a skimmer bike (maybe even a vaguely equine-looking one?) seems like the most plausible option. We've seen they use man-sized heat lances. It might make sense then to see other Wars technology translating into a smaller scale too.

Given the combined Second Republic/Second Empire/Third Republic kind of aesthetic we've seen so far I agree that a Cuirassier-type unit would fit the bill, as armoured heavy cavalry on skimmer bikes, perhaps, or as the jetpack unit, where most of the real world cavalry seem to go. KoB and FSA are English speakers, and have Sky Hussars and Air Cavalry. German-speaking Prussians have Luftlancers. Might the French unit take a name in their own language as well? Les Cuirassiers du Ciel?

Well the FSA cavalry split off between the Air Cav and the Treadbikes. I could see the RoF getting both. I know that I personally am thinking I'd want both Cuirassiers and Spahi.

I don't really want Cuirassiers as jetpack infantry because the Imperial Bond already has Luftlancers and Samurai as flying armored melee troops.

Well I know in the blog battle report from back in February they were proxying historical cavalry models for what they described as "air units" then later on described how first thing in the second turn the CoA Iron Men destroyed the RoF "aerial troops".

There may be DW fluff about the RoF using GNE packs for their aeronauts, but the only reference I've ever seen has just been the previous two very general terms.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.