Sign in to follow this  
Nikolai

British Air, or Australian?

Well, I'm considering a British/Australian fleet, and wanting some air cover, I am currently stuck.

Who should I devote the air half of the fleet to - Royal Australia, or the main core, Britannia? There seems to be little difference in stats.

Although I plan to add in the heavy bombers when they're released.

Anybody have any advice on the subject?

I suppose it comes down to how you plan to use the Air units. If you're looking for a purely offensive addition to your naval/armoured Brits, then, yes the RANZFC is a decent choice - yes, you lose Elite crew for Aggressive on the War Rotor, but get Devastating Ordnance on its guns instead, and Aggressive crew on the Scout Rotor.

But you have to weigh that against the loss of mines on the units, which allows the RFC to be more of a utility unit. My understanding is that the Brit's sweet spot is RB2 + 3, and the mines that the air units get (including the magnetic mines on the Hawk) allow for area denial and slowing the enemy down, keeping your main units in their sweet spot longer.

Also, remember you can't use Commodore Doctrines on allied units, so the RANZFC won't be able to use "For Queen and Country" (Perfect Plotting isn't really useful for Aerial units)

Late responding to this, but I didn't see a need to create a new topic. According to the rules for Allied battle groups, I have to take at least 1 non capital and 1 capital squadron in order to use allies with my KoB naval force. This being the case, I'm assuming both of those units have to come from the same allied force list? So I couldn't change my hawks to Kestrels, and take a squadron of Indian Raj corvettes right?

Late responding to this, but I didn't see a need to create a new topic. According to the rules for Allied battle groups, I have to take at least 1 non capital and 1 capital squadron in order to use allies with my KoB naval force. This being the case, I'm assuming both of those units have to come from the same allied force list? So I couldn't change my hawks to Kestrels, and take a squadron of Indian Raj corvettes right?

The 1+ capital and 1+ non-capital requirements are for each faction taken as allies

With the new aussie update I just dont get two things - how come Royal Australians have capital airforce with Experienced Engineers MAR and Kob do not??? Where is the logic? Brits with huge industry can not afford the same standard for airforce as for navy and Australians can do that?

And why should I take Kob airforce when RA have the same models cheaper and with Experienced Engineers and Diehard Attitude MAR? Give me the reason please.

BTW: I am not complaining, I just do not get it

Considering that the KoB have the free expert engineers for naval capital, I wouldn't be surprised if that expands to all capital when they are updated.

Although from a fluff perspective, the KoB navy is the most important part of their forces, and it is a significantly larger army than the RA has, maybe their navy takes too many of the expert engineers and they feel they are worth it there over putting them on air ships and leave them with the standard engineers.

The sky fortress you loose one AP to get those expert engineers

Eagle vs Osprey, you give up the mines on the eagle for the engineer and 5 points.

The hawk vs kestel, only the mines are different, probably not worth 10 points and better engineers but it is there.

The interceptors are the same.

From a game perspective, I think many people would have showed up at Spartan with torches and pitchforks if they had updated the KoB Orbat to match and not released the rest of the allied forces updated Orbats.

"I wouldn't be surprised if that expands to all capital when they are updated."

Erloas:  Experienced engineers for all capitols had been a Britannia staple since the game started.  In the last update they moved that to only Naval models, leaving the aerial and armored units high and dry.

Considering that the KoB have the free expert engineers for naval capital, I wouldn't be surprised if that expands to all capital when they are updated.

Kow had it before but lost that with the last update.

Problem is that mines are not worth much (nothing on the larges) and Experienced Engineers is great MAR.

Plus do not forget Diehard Attitude MAR, it is handy as well and it is nice to have it for free.

Problem is that mines are not worth much (nothing on the larges) ....

Tell that to the two Nemesis Battlecruisers that got hit by that 10 AD linked mine from the Illustrious just two weeks ago... or to yesterdays RC force which had to run their Suvorovs a very looong way, as they did not want to try the passage through a 8" channel with 6 magnetic mines floating around... On a 360° movement flyer the mines are actually a pretty strong tool in the box.

R

Tell that to the two Nemesis Battlecruisers that got hit by that 10 AD linked mine from the Illustrious just two weeks ago... or to yesterdays RC force which had to run their Suvorovs a very looong way, as they did not want to try the passage through a 8" channel with 6 magnetic mines floating around... On a 360° movement flyer the mines are actually a pretty strong tool in the box.

R

I dont know, maybe I play it wrong but yesterday I gave it a go (played 2x Eagle and 1x Illustrious) and the moment I have been in positions to deploy mines it was better to just bomb. I definitely give it another try next time, but still not convinced about mines on larges. I played against EoTBS and oh boy, not having experienced engineers on flyers was painful :-)