YoungDave

Unhappiness when having a Great Game

Posted Today, 10:40 AM

An unusual title, I know.  But last night's game came into that category.

I was playing a lad who's only played 2 (small) games prior to last night's, and he's still very much the newbie.  And I like to get guys enthused into the game, so that they come back for more.

So we were playing a 1000 point game, Brits v Russians, (he wanted to learn about SAS and he is a smart bloke who has wargamed for a few years now) and I'd put the 2 fleets together.  Pretty "fluffy", nothing too extreme, and they were both pretty similar; 1 x battleship each, both sides with a fleet carrier, a sqn of 3 cruisers each, the Brits with 3 Doncasters, the Russians with 3 Seransks, and a couple of small sqns each to round off.  

So early T2 (not a lot happened on T1) I push my Seransks forward - to give him a target with his subsequent activations.  But of course, my Seransks have to shoot first, and I decide to target the hard old Ruler.  And my dice were unbelievable (but it is Dystopian Wars!) and, even after his shields kick in, I've landed a DOUBLE crit on his battlewagon.  And for one of my crits I roll a double 6.  And it's at this point that I'm thinking to myself "please don't go in direction 1 and land on the island".  Which fortunatley it didn't, but now sporting 6 HP of damage (I got 4 from the Sturginium Flare) his BB has lost a fair bit of his "teeth", even with redoubtable.

So why is it guys when you are introducing someone to the game (or any game really!) you can end up rolling dice that normally you can only dream about?

That said, Matt was VERY impressed with the Russians (funny old thing!) and we will see what happens in the future.  

And yes - I do realise that I first posted this in the FA section - I'm just an old git!

Because of the weird luck with dice, wherever possible, you should try to teach new players in pairs, one against the other, with yourself as a neutral/umpire. That way, a really jammy dice roll won't scare off or create a disheartened player.

That being said, some vessels always get strange stuff happening to them. My Ruler always ends up in the middle of an island, and my French flagships always end up removing Hachiman Dreadnoughts from the game first shot, every time.

For new players I usually go with a scenario based game with asymmetrical forces so they may be pushing 1000 or 1250 versus 750 defending with some of those forces made up of static defenses. It doesn't stop dice that decide to go on a binge of rolling sixes but it makes it less fatal.

You can always simply say.....

"That roll is incredibly lucky, and really shouldn't happen.  It's not much of a teaching game if such a big part of your force is knocked out like that. We'll just re-roll it, so we get a more average result."

Then re-roll the attack so you get a single Crit that is something not too bad- say a Nav lock.

You can always simply say.....

"That roll is incredibly lucky, and really shouldn't happen.  It's not much of a teaching game if such a big part of your force is knocked out like that. We'll just re-roll it, so we get a more average result."

Then re-roll the attack so you get a single Crit that is something not too bad- say a Nav lock.

It almost sounds like you have had this happen before James!

It happens. Every game with dice relays to some extend on luck. Usely both sides have their share of good and back luck. With the exploding dice system you can have some extreem results. I like that even the smallest or badly damaged ship still has chance, but sometimes it change (or ruin) a game.

In case of the situation of o.p. I would have rerolled the dice.

I've had runaway dice work both ways. Just last night, I managed to score 19 hits off of 8 rockets, and a couple weeks back a friend of mine ate up 12 hits with a mere 2 shield dice.

Luckily, I've never seen it scare any new prospects off from the game. Usually they find it hilarious and it pulls them deeper into the game.

I jokingly tell people that GW rigs the dice for other people's games so that kind of stuff happens to scare away interested new players to competitors games. 

You know, a user over on warseer did a test a few years back, and actually found that GW brand dice roll lower on average than other brands.

I feel your pain after having unbelievable dice doing Demo's at the UK Games Expo!

It is a real art running Intro games well. I find I have to be really careful not to pull out my tricksier tactics. If my dice are too obscene I sometimes re roll them. Dystopian wars is as much about being flexible to bad things that happen but that is a lesson you learn over time rather than during the intro game! 

I am a bit of a probability freak so often work out several courses of action for the other player and let them choose themselves.  

Ha, the Dice Gods are, as ever, fickle.

I was playing the good lady at Backgammon yesterday afternoon - and got hammered!  At one point I said I was thinking about taking her along to the odd tourney event, just to roll my dice.  

How many doubles can one person roll in succession???  And of course, games of backgammon against Yvonne are serious - very serious!!!

Bloody dice!!!

I've had runaway dice work both ways. Just last night, I managed to score 19 hits off of 8 rockets, and a couple weeks back a friend of mine ate up 12 hits with a mere 2 shield dice.

Luckily, I've never seen it scare any new prospects off from the game. Usually they find it hilarious and it pulls them deeper into the game.

Only 12?

I've gotten more off a single guardian dice, granted for me when using guardians I either fail miserably or deflect more hits than were there in the first place.

Was running an intro for a friend to V2 the other day.

Although the game turned out to be a fairly close one, it didn't feel that way to either of us due to the half dozen times I was down to one extra dice and I kept rolling 6, 6, 6, 6, 6....

I've had good-luck / bad-luck like that with other wargames too, but I think that yes... it's worse when it happens while you're trying to introduce someone to the game -_-

Wow

Just, wow. Did we meet at the Crossroads one day and do a little soul-for-good-luck exchange Nazduruk?! That is hilarious!

our last tournament kicked off with our local Chinese Fed player mag exploding a medium turn one, which then mag exploded the rest of its squad and took the  2 squads of smalls out around it and damaged his Battleship. The center of his line was removed with the first action of the first turn!

In my last tournament, every large or massive on the field exploded with the first shot to damage any of them. A Britannian Mobile Airfield, a CoA Epicurus and an Archimedes. So yeah, that was an explosive goodbye to 1.1