Sign in to follow this  
Ologotai

First v2.0 game with RoF

Hi guys

I played against my regular opponent Mart's FSA fleet on Wednesday pulling off a 50% plus all Smalls objective win on a Turn 3. We played on a 4x4 table with 1000 points.

My fleet was:

La Rochelle with Cloud and Nullification generator

Couronne with Cloud

Cherbourg (Flanking)

Cherbourg

Squadron of 3 x Marseille

Squadron of 4 x Lyon

Squadron of 4 x Lyon

Mart had :

Independence with shield

Saratoga

Squadron of 2 Princetons with shields

Squadron of 2 Lexingtons with shields

Squadron of 2 Lexingtons with shields

Squadron of 4 Augustas

Squadron of 3 Guildfords

It was a very tense and enjoyable game. Mart was one Marseille cruiser and a few VPs short of also pulling off his 50% plus all mediums objective as well.

Some earnings/observations:

Cherbourgs are definitely glass hammers. I charged my flanking one in too rashly and it got plinked away by Marts cruisers and smalls. I also whiffed consecutive 12 and 14AD shots with them against the Independence where I hope the Heat Lance Piercing and Incendiary MARs would cause some problems.

The La Rochelle is a beast but I hid it behind an island on Turn 1 when, with its Retardant Armour and Cloud I should have placed it in position to fire at long range. When it swept over the island on turn 2 it put criticals on both Princetons, getting Fusion leaks and meaning that after the repair phase of the turn both gunships only had 1HP each remaining!

The Lyons were excellent - their long range torpedo ability and decent broadsides made them very effective. The Corounne anchored the line very well throwing its heat lance, broadsides and rockets around.

Neither mine or Mart's Massive/Large vessels took any damage as we either targeted our relative objective ships or attacks failed to damage.

Retardant armour also helped out several times avoiding crits on my Cherbourg's in particular.

All in all I liked the fleet a lot - Heat Lances really are as powerful as people have inferred that's for sure.

By the way I took two Cherbourgs simply because I have not yet painted my Dieppes or Toulons. Mart's force was dictated by his limited collection and the fact that he wanted to squeeze a carrier in for this game however he has only ever played FSA so knows how to use his vessels very well. The Lexingtons in particular I always find cause me problems so I tend to target them early on.

Many thanks

Andy

The Princetons are a new favorite of mine. Usually you must choose shields or rockets in mediums below the B.C level.

With the new AA rules having multiple  rocket attacks in an activation is a big threat. IDF is quite powerful in Version 2 and a cheap shields make it a dangerous ship for the money.

Nice report; maybe next time consider 5 Requins instead of one of the Lyons unit. 2 Cherbourgs tend to make your list very fragile, especially at 1000 points; you also had a lot of Strategic Value, watch out! :)