Naptain Cemo

New appendix files for 2.0 - comments and help appreciated

Hi,

I remember those appendix files for 1.1 from iamgraef that were really useful – especially for visually oriented people like me. Now it seems like he is not online anymore and won't do updates and I thought of doing new ones for 2.0. I must admit it is a s*load of work. I just created a sample file for "gunnery ordnance" to show it here. I'd like some comments and maybe help by others  :)

I may create some for special weapons like tesla, heat, … as well that contain all the MARs needed so you have a one-page reference to speed up game (may be especially useful to non-native speakers with intermediate or lower english skills).

Please give me feedback about:

• design/layout -> font type and size, colours, ... (maybe I should not use the official DW-Sign?)
  • arrangement -> I had an alternative idea of making one page per height level for all weapons instead of one per weapon for all height levels
  • Correct numbers (THIS!)
  • anything related (special tables you are interested in, ...)

If someone is interested, he or she could help me by providing me with data to put into these files - I don't know yet all the rules in perfection, am no native speaker and don't have every army in mind. We could discuss the tables contents so that you know what exactly would be needed.

gallery_4991_875_291940.jpg

NC

Made a first one for direct gunnery from surface. This kind of design seems more convenient to me. Clicking leads to the full size pic. Comments much appreciated.

med_gallery_4991_875_109906.jpg

EDIT: For surface targeting the arrow is missing – will be corrected.

EDIT 2: I guess I wrote b*lls*ht regrding the deep diving height level. Will also be corrected.

NC

Edited by Naptain Cemo

Excellent initiative, but:

This graph is a little incomplete, I think. As I understand it you compare the to-hits for the height bands of the attacker and defender and use whichever number is most advantageous for the defender. The above graphic shows only a part of that (surface to all), where a graphic should really showcase this (rather elegant) reciprocal system, in my opinion.

I use this excellent sheet by Element 270 as a quick-reference, and really like the way base to-hit numbers and to-hit modifiers are summed up there. Maybe that kind of approach could be a good basis for developing these visual aides?

Hi Matti,

Thank you for your answer. Yes, the graph is incomplete and I will proceed to make more of these for the other height bands and other occasions. I try to follow the experiences from my games where I rather ask "What is to hit with my ship from surface to height level xy" and expect to get a fast and simple answer than wanting to have a complete graph of all information for all occasions on one page (i. e. stuff that I don't need at that moment). I already use the sheet you linked and it is fine (still does not provide answers to every question so I use another set of sheets as well), but with a 1000 pts game lasting about 5 hours due to lack of rule knowledge I need to speed up searching ...

Kind regards

NC

Hi Matti,

Thank you for your answer. Yes, the graph is incomplete and I will proceed to make more of these for the other height bands and other occasions. I try to follow the experiences from my games where I rather ask "What is to hit with my ship from surface to height level xy" and expect to get a fast and simple answer than wanting to have a complete graph of all information for all occasions on one page (i. e. stuff that I don't need at that moment). I already use the sheet you linked and it is fine (still does not provide answers to every question so I use another set of sheets as well), but with a 1000 pts game lasting about 5 hours due to lack of rule knowledge I need to speed up searching ...

Kind regards

NC

Looking forward tp your progress. :)

Thank you very much for your appreciation. Next one may be about LOS, then maybe Rockets, Bombs, Torpedoes, then IDF. I now have 3 weeks of holidays and so it is hobby time  :) .

Does someone have an idea where to put a PDF online for download? The SG-community allows only for pictures and I'd like to provide a multi-page PDF when finished the appendices.

NC

Proudly presenting:

Appendices for Heat and Tesla. Clicking the pictures leads to the big ones.

NC

Possible addition:

Piercing ammunition allows for critical hits effects to be applied to small models that start with two HP

Well, recent days I finished some CoA-Models and built Scenery, then there was the planing of a campaign. Having holidays seldom means having a lot of spare time.  :D

What's this "holidays" stuff you speak of?!?  You're on forum time now and us users get cranky when we don't get our goodies in a timely manner.  Get crackin' you slacker!

:P

Well, recent days I finished some CoA-Models and built Scenery, then there was the planing of a campaign. Having holidays seldom means having a lot of spare time.  :D

But I will continue so I can deliver some results this week.

NC

Looking  forward to seeing these