Ologotai

Faster play

Hi guys

How do you try to ensure you get through a game in a sensible time?

I and my regular opponent are pretty familiar with the rules so do not have to check things too often and normally play with 1000 point naval forces on a 4x4 table.

However we find a normal 3-4 turn game can take up 5-6 hours including set-up and a bit of tea-making!

Neither of us seem to prevaricate unduly on our moves either.

So any tips/tricks for quicker play (other than less tea of course!)

Regards

Andy

I always play 1000-1250 and we are done in 2-3 hours. Just do a fast pace. Not much off topic talking, know you models and weapons, think about you actions when you opponent is doing his/hers, try to focus yourself on your Fleet Order, that kind of stuff. It makes it go faster.

With the increase in unit costs, I am guessing the 1500 point games have only slightly more units, and perhaps the same, as 1000 point games. Because at 1500 point games you start taking more big/expensive models. Which may make play simpler.

Imagine taking a 1000 points of smalls. How long would that take to play I wonder.

With the increase in unit costs, I am guessing the 1500 point games have only slightly more units, and perhaps the same, as 1000 point games. Because at 1500 point games you start taking more big/expensive models. Which may make play simpler.

Imagine taking a 1000 points of smalls. How long would that take to play I wonder.

It is more about having more guns, resulting in an unlucky roll on your battleship no longer meaning another turn has to be played.

My 1500 points games tend to only last 2-3 turns, while my 1000 points games usually last 3-5 turns.

It takes about 3 hours for us to play a 1250 pnt. game. Knowing all the obscure rules makes the difference and leave some time to get another coffee and watch other players at our club. I also noticed that some nations (who uses f.e. fixed channel a lot) take a bit more time to manouvre.

In our group (sadly we are only 2 people the most time), we play mostly 1300 Points and need about 4 hours for 3 or 4 Rounds in this time. Bur in most cases one or both player reach there secret goal in this time, too. Besides, I think we are talking a little too much during the game and had moments we had to look up some rules (and this after about 16 Games since the 2.0 Rulebook appeard).

Well at a regional tournament 2 of us managed to get 28 turns in a 2 1/2 hour game at 850 points while the other players got to around turn 3 or 4

Did you really mean 28 Turn or 8, and the "2" is a Typo, because with 28 Turns in this Time each Turn would only take 5 Minutes.

I mean 28 turns, in the first 3 we destroyed the majority of both fleets with not enough either side for a clear victor and the remaining 25 turns were less than 5 minutes

There are some small details that can help.

-Get all your markers ordered in a translucent Box with many sections, so you don´t waste time searching for a certain marker.

-When you move units in a straight line just put the ruler beside the unit and move it "once" not inch by inch, also works for the round movement markers if you know where your unit is going to end up.

-Use a dice throwing box so you wont have dice flying around that you later have to pick up.

-Practice :)

25 turns at less than 5mins each sounds like dreadnoughts being the only models remaining on either side, trying to outmanoeuvre each other for either a clear broadside, or to get within boarding range.

(Had a game like that once, in 1.1, with an undamaged Enterprise that lost all of its crew to a flash fire trying to sink a fully-crewed Hachiman on its last HP, whilst it was trying to get within boarding range)

Sounds basic but my friend and I usually agree a hard stop time for a game - usually works.

At the mo we are playing some smaller 600pts games and we agree a 2hr limit including all set up for the game and that really seems to help.

The other thing that will always slow you down is hunting around for rules in the big book o' rules so any quick play sheet or reference sheet you can put together really helps

only on very rare occasions have my opponent and I gone beyond 4 hours for a 1500 pts game. A 3000 pts per side multiplayer took 8 hours incl. dinner making (very effiecient with two us cutting vegetables besides the game board)

can confirm that getting your markers in orders makes a lot of a difference. Using standard measuring tape when moving directly ahead. furthermore, time your preactivation measuring. We have a house rule, that once the activation switches to you, you activate the unit you measure from first, which effectively removes pre activation measuring, after that, you can pre measure all you want, but it fixes the player on his activation. Now I know that is not for everyone (but all of us are wargames through many years liking the idea of guessing distances before activating), but a gentlemans agreement to not measure ecxessivly might be a good idea, if ALOT of premeasure is going on...

text each other before the game with point level your playing at, and what nations you plan on on bringing, so people have their list made allready

keep pace (it's suppose to be fun, but you know, everyone wants to go home at a time)

just the Things that i could mention of the top of my head, but you know... i kinda happens by itself in my meta, so can't really say it much more precise.

Yep I was there, I remember it, the rest of us in the tournament could not believe it either. If I remember right you both only had one model left?

Great tourney though ;)

in the end all that was left was my Forbes Blimp