Sign in to follow this  
Garthim

Traders allied with blank?....

I have the Marauder bug.  I want a fleet and a reason to buy them so I dont get hit on the nose with a newspaper again.

I was looking at Traders as a core fleet cause I love the idea of pure numbers and the fun of maybe doing some conversions until official models come out with a Trade Federation look (so this will be a fun fleet, not a hardcore competition fleet) 

The next step is allies: 

Oroshan would be nice elite allies, bringing powerful vessels, a dreadnought,  and beam weaponry to the table.   Given how inexpensive the traders are, it would make the high cost of the Oroshan a bit more feasible to field as allies.

Corsairs provide cheap vessels and add boarding power to the fleet.  Also their ablility to customize their vessels.

Syndicate seems to be the implied natural choice as they would provide a battlecruiser, battleship, and gunship option to the fleet and fits current lore.

No Omnidyne at the moment. Have something else in mind for them. 

option C (all of the above) having oroshan fits well with the old oroshan fluff as they were willing to be hired by anyone who pays for their services having syndicate makes sense as you want to keep the bosses happy and corsairs could work really well for swarm tactics as thier ships are also reasonably cheap

Cant decide, make the corsairs my boarders or take the upgrades to make them gunships? 

I am leaning towards boarders as thats the biggest weakness of the Traders I can see, but also having them decked out for more firepower would make them a nice spear head and first strike vessels.

Ok guys, crunch time. I get to fight Sorylians later this week, with an improvised trader league core fleet at 1000 points.  Corsairs or Oroshan?  Things to do and not do against them with traders with either of these allies?

The way it will look, if I try to close with anything other than my torpedo weaponry, the Sorylians will shred me.  So I am looking at max squadrons and trying to circle his fleet best I can (as the traders torpedos are 24" at best on most ships).  Then if I am lucky, he will send a squadron of two out to break the circle or do some damage back, then send in the Oroshan to get into those gaps and cry havoc.  Thoughts?

That would be a tough fight. Taking a closer look at the Oroshan and Corsairs, I would take as many Oroshan as I could.

They can be terrifying at boarding, and should be more than enough to take on the lizards.

I'd also take as many decimator warheads as you can to break up his frigates and cruisers. With pack hunter the frigates can pack dreadnought firepower if left alone.

If you take Corsairs, focus on their wings. I'd use Fighters to strip interceptors with dogfights to get the tops through. Be sure not to do this early on though. Get some damage on his ships first to limit PD reprisals before you come for the SRS.

Good luck! Let us know how you do!