Naptain Cemo

Black Wolf "One careful owner" - what to take in 2.0?

Exactly this is my question: What would you take as oco-model with the Black Wolf Naval Battle-Group and why? I guess, it would be a carrier, but which would provide the best synergetic effect?

NC

You can only take the Italian carrier, all others are Massive.

I would take something the BW do not have, such as an aerial model, possibly one with a Guardian Shield generator.

I have been tempted by some french stuff, particularly the la rochelle heavy battleship. Tough, brilliant firepower and a reach that hits RB4 where the BW struggle at RB3. (Just dont have the model :( )

An aerial unit that is a) large and b ) good is hard to find, I find the flying larges a bit lacking compared to their naval counterparts. The Tunguska is good, but also russian and therefore unavailable to the BW.

The Liberty might be an ok addition, since it can stay back and shoot whilst the rest of the fleet charges forward. The extra 100 strategic value that OCO causes does make it a bit of a liability.

The Vengeance and Sturmbringer could be good choices too, as could the Kaiser Karl (another choice I would use if only I had the model :( )

I have used the Ika and the Chinese battleship (with rockets) in various games. the Ika has damaged some nice ships and boarded others and the Battleship has provided nice BR4 firepower against small/medium models

I have only used the Ika in V2 to mixed effect in a few games. More games are needed with both options to give a more rounded answer.

Other than taking the Invaders Harvest Ship (If your opponents are up to it). I would go for a Jian MK 1 Battleship 14 Elite AP :)

This sounds fantastic :-) The KoB SuB would be another choice to me if it only was available as a single.

I've had good games with a EIMC Forbes with Guardian generator and additional SAS. Not quite a carrier, but you get some wings, and with sustained fire, half AD due to the dilation fields can be mitigated somewhat.

My standard "One Carefull Owner" vessel is the Magenta MKI Pocket Battleship with Heat Lance and Cloud Gen. The vessel is capible of taking down large Vessels with it's heat lance, the defences are pretty good with a Cloud Gen and it gives models within 8" Die Hard Attitude which is nice :)

Taking an Invader model that is purposefully designed to be very overpowered is not how one plays cricket...

I would recommend the EIMC Forbes.

Thing is, you can take the Forbes as an allied mercenary (~250 pts with a squad of Drakes for the minimum battlegroup requirements) with the Black Wolf force, so it kinda wastes your OCO choice.

I'm liking the idea of the Jian or other Battleship, but I'm seriously considering the new Chinese Dragon or Ika, just to have something different in the force. Sure, there may be more effective choices, but...it's a dragon...a Black Dragon...

Thing is, you can take the Forbes as an allied mercenary (~250 pts with a squad of Drakes for the minimum battlegroup requirements) with the Black Wolf force, so it kinda wastes your OCO choice.

I'm liking the idea of the Jian or other Battleship, but I'm seriously considering the new Chinese Dragon or Ika, just to have something different in the force. Sure, there may be more effective choices, but...it's a dragon...a Black Dragon...

Not if you have a 1000p game.

But dragon.. yeeesss.. I wants it! Preciousss..

Not if you have a 1000p game.

Can you explain this, as I'm not quite getting what you're saying? Why would a 1000 pt force be an issue? The Forbes itself would come out of the 40% non core allowance (~150/400 pts), and the small squadron (frigates/corvettes) would come out of the core allowance, as per the mercenary combined forces rules

Large allowance shouldn't be an issue, since the Forbes is only ~150pts out of a 600pt allowance. Same with smalls, as the drakes are only 100/400pts...

so, points allowances isn't an issue

Faction isn't an issue, since the EIMC is free nations/coalition aligned, and the black wolf is any (well, almost any)...

Is there somthing else?

Can you explain this, as I'm not quite getting what you're saying? Why would a 1000 pt force be an issue? The Forbes itself would come out of the 40% non core allowance (~150/400 pts), and the small squadron (frigates/corvettes) would come out of the core allowance, as per the mercenary combined forces rules

Large allowance shouldn't be an issue, since the Forbes is only ~150pts out of a 600pt allowance. Same with smalls, as the drakes are only 100/400pts...

so, points allowances isn't an issue

Faction isn't an issue, since the EIMC is free nations/coalition aligned, and the black wolf is any (well, almost any)...

Is there somthing else?

Because you may not have 250 points to spare?

Maybe in a 1000 points or so game you may want to have a BW battle group (up to 870 points with all upgrades) and you want one extra model?

At 1k points the Forbes/syera might be in competition with black wolf units. The black wolf box is about 800-900 points after all. Maybe that is the problem?

I do find that using allies in 1k games tends to be restricted more by what you want to put in the list rather than the percentage limits.

One problem for the one careful owner rule that might make the Dragon less of a good choice is the extra 100 points of strategic value. Whatever the robot is/does it will want to get close to the enemy, much like the rest of the black wolf fleet. So it may not be as tempting as something that covers a black wolf weakness... Although on the other hand, robot Dragon. So yeah. Rule of cool and all ... :P

I could have sworn there was something in the rules about no allies under 1k points, cant find it on Pg 70 or Pg 190 in the CERB but I think that is the line of thought that caused the no allies in a 1k game comment ( I was under the same impression).

I face the BW fairly frequently as both a primary and mercenary (allied) faction. My opponent brings the Vengeance a lot, and his 2 Deathbringers.  He has talked about trying to bring the Titan class troop transport, its cheap, lots of AP to go Elite, and a 16" boarding threat (8" move, Long Range Assault) and most likely if you see that across from you, it will be underestimated, (I mention that its cheap?). 

The Osprey from the Aussies is good as well 12" guardian, devastating ordnance guns and its got solid stats.

On second look the Cerberus or Bounty would not be bad either, I would go Cerberus but the Combat Coord MAR they have are not limited to only Aussie models and also have the Guardian Gen.

I also like the New Orleans as an option, repairing that ablative armor is a nice option.

I do not think there is any one "Go To" option for the OCO its going to come down to the syle of play and fleet composition.

I've been looking at the mk2 magenta and the Kaiju...

Actually I more than liked the idea I've purchased the old naval starter and a mk2 Magenta and under coated my spare - yes I have a spare... Everyone should have one - Kaiju ready to join the forces of the Wolf :)

Does the combat commander on the magenta work on all BW assets now?

Yep :)
I use the Magenta MKI with Heat Lance as my basic BWM Model. It gives Disorder Dice, Vessel Hunting capabilities and has a good defence (Cloud Gen).

Also I ally with CWoFA for the Carrier and some good Air Support 

And as bomber.....Valkeries Fury Heavy Bomber of course  ^_^