Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AsleepByDay

AsleepByDay's British

Now that my Prussians are somewhat tidy (I've finished all the models I've started painting) it is time to start catching up with my British.

It must always fall to the British officers to lead the way so I will start with a photo of my officers from the starter box:

I was going for a strong separation of theme here, the lieutenant was intended to convey capability and action hence the muddy boots, bloody sword and base that surrounds and somewhat encloses the miniature. Smethington on the other hand was supposed to convey a lack of direct interaction, acting more as an inspiration hence his being placed above the ground exposed, with a spotless uniform.

IMAG1261_zpsf9b7f818.jpg

looks really good. And maybe the helmets can mean anything with the new DL2.0 release, (with the 3 different Infantry options)

Maybe, it will be interesting to see :)

I've finished my hussars so I'll try and take some photos of those.

A mixture of coloured helmets does make some sense. All troopers were kitted out with shiny white helmets. Once in the field, the soldiers dirtied up their helmets with tea or mud, or anything else they could, because, lets face it, the bright white was a bit of a target, therefore, the helmets could be a variety of colours within this range.

This just means the ones with the tan helmets are the veterans, and the white, the new boys just off the parade-ground.

Well after taking the back seat to other models my KoB are finally seeing some more love :)

Finished is the HMG

IMG_20150418_162852_zpsxallg8xk.jpg

IMG_20150418_162858_zpszbkrj94l.jpg

But more is on the way as the mightly terrier enters the WIP phase, I primed him up last weekend, currently I'm looking at ww1 tanks to choose how to paint everything.

IMG_20150418_162939_zpsdwofgmif.jpg

Rolling off the production line is the mighty terrier:

IMG_20150614_181926_zpskbkznidr.jpg

IMG_20150614_181943_zpswgwzcvoj.jpg

IMG_20150614_181958_zpsgnyjf4xf.jpg

IMG_20150614_182011_zpsmozwetqb.jpg

I'm pleased with how this turned out, I didn't try and add any battle damage beyond the miss cast on the barrel because of the large amount of detail already present.

Adding flock and grass to the tracks was fun :)

Didn't get the BW finished, 5 painting projects at once is perhaps too ambitious. Some progress was made though and the command box was assembled and primed. I took some photos to work into a review that I'll publish later.

IMG_20150621_212847_zps6e2kux1q.jpg

I normally rate about 2 hours a model for my 'high table top standard' but that is for a single model where as I can batch paint here to an extent. Although on the whole I despise batch painting.

I should have a few hours to work on them this evening, I'll post an updated photo then. After that I don't have any painting time until next Tuesday..

Most of Tuesday was spent watching the final episodes of the second series of continuum with my friend,  can't say I recommend that show at all really  :|

I did squeeze in twenty minutes or so on my black watch late in the evening and then a few minutes around my Japanese lesson yesterday. The two new guys have the red of their coats done along with a few extra bits while the 5 other guys have their little pack pocket things painted brown.

IMG_20150625_223731_zpslbozccgx.jpg

For the leather brown I paint the area bright yellow first then wash with a mixture of brown paint and dark brown wash. I like the results as a it gives a strong highlight that looks to me, a lot like the streaks of bright colours that leather forms as it ages.

It is also a very different look to the brown with a highlight then dark wash that I use for wood making it clear that the two areas are different materials. I'm pretty pleased with the results it forms and for having developed the technique independently :)

I've had an experiment with painting over red blending into orange for scabbard of the sword on the sergeant, this is part of my ongoing attempts to find a good way to paint red leather.

I like the results 

IMG_20150625_223811_zpsrlxoefgo.jpg

Finally finished the black watch this weekend. I was supposed to meet up with my friend on Sunday but he decided to sleep in by over 6 hours so instead painting.

I've adopted a tactic of spending twenty minutes painting followed by ten minutes de cluttering my house it seems to be going well so far :)

IMG_20150705_200603_zpsvmttrajo.jpg

I was going to focus on my Prussians next but I already had this assembled so it seemed to make more sense to get it primed and under way.

IMG_20150705_200637_zpsbmd8wp3z.jpg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.