BattleCommander

GENCON 2014

I do think some presence would greatly benefit Spartan in at one or two of the US conventions. Shipping over a few tall vinyl stands and a studio army or two for conventions would be just about all that's needed. A expensive exhibition hall booth at Gencon isn't needed when folks wandering through the miniatures area will see the signs and come watch at their own leisure. Staff the table with a few vanguards running demo games with good looking pre-painted terrain and armies and the game will sell itself-- those interested could (in the case of Gencon) then take a 5 minute walk to the exhibition hall and pick up a starter fleet from The War Store. 

In the case above I'm sure even the War Store would help promote the game if there was an organized presence. No Spartan employee needed. Just pay for the weekend passes and a night or two of hotel for the vanguards for their time and you have a pretty cheap presence at the Con. Keep the signage and studio armies with someone who's trusted state-side and ship them as needed to any other convention in the States'.

In the short time my buddy and I were playing on my modular board at Gencon we had a ton of people express interest-- the game can easily sell itself. 

Do the same thing for Dystopian Wars-- seriously, that game sells itself as well. 

I don't offer this as critical criticism of Spartan Games, just constructive. I run the Player Finder-- I try to do my own little part to promote the hobby in my own way, I don't feel like a hypocrite suggesting how this could affordably happen and promote their product. I simply believe there is a missed opportunity here. 

Yeah, that's true-- and take this with a grain of salt as I have absolutely no idea what sort of profit margins there are for a company like Spartan, but I figured a few thousand dollars as being a pretty affordable buy-in for space and attention at a convention like Gencon. (I'm not a good businessman either.) 

Adversely you could send unpainted models to a US painter, have that studio paint up two starter fleets with terrain, provide the foam for it all and it becomes a fairly reliable/portable for such uses. Again-- it just comes down to finding someone you can trust to keep/store/care for the fleet making it's way between Cons'.  

But you're right, if they wanted to properly do it then this would just be a lot of hassle. I imagine the flights for a group of employees is expensive-- although not as expensive as keeping a separate U.S employee on the books for such things. 

Anyway, that's enough from me-- I'm an I.T. guy so my whole psyche revolves around problem solving. 

I don't think the idea of official painted fleets that get passed around would be worth the effort. To become a Vanguard in the first place, you have to have two painted fleets, so those should already be available anywhere Vanguards are. Now, some form of Banner On A Stick is another matter. Banners are cheap, all but disposable on a half-decent marketing budget, and I would think those would be worth the effort to ship to a large convention if you can't get accounting to sign off on a couple of plane tickets. 

Perhaps the Vanguard should all hit Gencon next year? I have never been and may try to make my way there as a Planetfall Vanguard. :)

Perhaps if we can get enough Vanguards together maybe Spartan will grace us with their presence without the worry of ruining their precious pretty studio models (c'mon, seriously?)

Hey guys, I know you think Gencon is the big con to go to and events at that convention would be cool and I would be on board to help as I live relatively close in Michigan.  I think Adepticon is a better venue as its not quite as big, but still big and its all war games and miniatures.  the target audience basically.

I have events already approved and in the works for Adepticon in Chicago ( schaumberg) this coming March.  Spartan is throwing a lot of support at this so we need to make it big.  This will be kinda a beach head to show how big the community is.  It sets that stage for future events and bigger events and can be used as an example to help get things going at other conventions around the country.

It will also show Spartan its worth the trip across the pond.

So spread the word.  I will be doing a bunch of promotion on my blog and other places including pod casts.  I may know some people that do event planning for gencon so we may be able to do get some demo space or tournament space.

Just throwing it out there.  Apparently I am the first person to do Anything at Adepticon with this scope. Nobody has really done a big event at a convention yet either form what I have gathered.  So lets make it big and get things going.  I got the ball rolling.

I don't think the idea of official painted fleets that get passed around would be worth the effort. To become a Vanguard in the first place, you have to have two painted fleets, so those should already be available anywhere Vanguards are. Now, some form of Banner On A Stick is another matter. Banners are cheap, all but disposable on a half-decent marketing budget, and I would think those would be worth the effort to ship to a large convention if you can't get accounting to sign off on a couple of plane tickets. 

I have to ask about banners thanks for reminding me.  I kinda don't want to have one made, but I know I will need one for ballroom and convention events.

I have a bunch of friends from Iowa (my old gaming group) who regularly attend Adepticon, unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to make it unless my finances go into the black on the double, but if I can I'll definitely be there to show my support for SG and Planetfall with the guys. ^_^

Found best way to promote the hobby is to play it with painted minis if you do you always get someone going ooh what's that so far got a few into dwars even the misses and that's a difficult task. I find people respond a lot better to things being there in front of them not on a web site or put lots of battle reports on you tube will help a lot especially if it comes from mini wargames, beasts of war, blue table painting or striking scorpion but any one can post one up

Hey guys, I know you think Gencon is the big con to go to and events at that convention would be cool and I would be on board to help as I live relatively close in Michigan.  I think Adepticon is a better venue as its not quite as big, but still big and its all war games and miniatures.  the target audience basically.

I have events already approved and in the works for Adepticon in Chicago ( schaumberg) this coming March.  Spartan is throwing a lot of support at this so we need to make it big.  This will be kinda a beach head to show how big the community is.  It sets that stage for future events and bigger events and can be used as an example to help get things going at other conventions around the country.

It will also show Spartan its worth the trip across the pond.

So spread the word.  I will be doing a bunch of promotion on my blog and other places including pod casts.  I may know some people that do event planning for gencon so we may be able to do get some demo space or tournament space.

Just throwing it out there.  Apparently I am the first person to do Anything at Adepticon with this scope. Nobody has really done a big event at a convention yet either form what I have gathered.  So lets make it big and get things going.  I got the ball rolling.

So i just had to look up the cost of flights.

Indeed sir.  Adepticon is good times regardless.  This just adds some good incentive to come.  

I kinda want to get all the Vanguards together there post tournament for a night out ;-)

Found best way to promote the hobby is to play it with painted minis if you do you always get someone going ooh what's that so far got a few into dwars even the misses and that's a difficult task. I find people respond a lot better to things being there in front of them not on a web site or put lots of battle reports on you tube will help a lot especially if it comes from mini wargames, beasts of war, blue table painting or striking scorpion but any one can post one up

Yeah Painted models are a must to get people excited about demos and games.

I have bunch of stuff to buy and paint over the next couple months.

OK sorry but PlanetFall took too long to come out.  DZC just came out with a new faction that is exactly what I was looking for.  Also just for FYI all the DZC starter boxes have dropped in price because they went to plastic instead of Resin.  They went down from $90 to $30 not that they are plastic.  and if you go to Miniature Market they are $25.  So I am going with DZC and if they come out with a V 2.0 in the next year then I might look back.

OK sorry but PlanetFall took too long to come out.  DZC just came out with a new faction that is exactly what I was looking for.  Also just for FYI all the DZC starter boxes have dropped in price because they went to plastic instead of Resin.  They went down from $90 to $30 not that they are plastic.  and if you go to Miniature Market they are $25.  So I am going with DZC and if they come out with a V 2.0 in the next year then I might look back.

I think the miniture design as well as the rules are different enough that the price isnt the sole reason to buy into any of the games.  Yes the new starter sets are definetly a bonus, however i think they only will match both games on the price of a full "normal' force. The single units are still quite expensive for DZC so i think SG will have the advantage on that by selling boxed sets of helixes.

Battlecommander: DZC wasn't really being discussed here in relation to Planetfall. This was a topic discussing the convention and what could be done to gather more attention to Planetfall. If you wanted to discuss any frustrations with Planetfall versus Dropzone Commander, then you might be better suited to posting on some DZC forums. 

I agree, I will no longer post any comparisons.  But this does have direct relationship with this topic I started on GENCON 2014.  I would of never started to buy DZC if it was not for them being at GENCON and PlanteFall was nowhere to be seen!!!!!!  But I still stand on that SG needs to step up their visablily in the USA and find a way to show off there really cool Games!!!!!

I get the issue, I totally do but that does not help getting people to buy it and then I have opponents.I am doing demos as often as I can but not much interest.  There is a good size group of the other game so better to have opponents than models sitting on the self collecting dust!!!!  Which is where all my DW and FSA are at.  :(