BattleCommander

GENCON 2014

I know Jaded Gamercast http://jadedgamercast.com covers FSA and a little bit of DW from time to time.  I think next Monday they should be talking about the new rules release and a OmiDyne vs Relthoza game they had. They are not a full time FSA podcast but Firebase Delta has gotten one new podcast up trying to get bugs out but they need some work on their audio levels. 

Just as a bit of anecdotal Evidence -  Corvus Belli had a dedicated GenCon booth this year and was sold out of all non-book product by the 2nd day.  While I could get Spartan Games products from the Warstore booth, no one was there to talk about it or give demo games.  It makes a big difference.

My 2 cents:

1) I went to Gencon with the intent to buy the Ryushi box set that I have been coveting for some time now.  I only have so much money allotted to my hobbies and the majority was squirreled away for Gencon.  Sadly the Warstore booth only had core faction box sets for sale so I spent that money elsewhere.  I still plan on getting the Ryushi but it will now need to wait for my bank account to recover from the Con.

2) I ordered the Marshall box set WEEKS ago from my FLGS.  He is way too small to stock any SG games but is willing to order anything and it is convenient to where I work.  The issue is his distributor doesn't stock the games either so he has to order them.  I could avoid this by ordering online but I'd rather keep my FLGS in business.

Basically, I wish Spartan had an bigger presence in the US

And all LEs one hour after the doors opened to the public on Thursday. I talked to one of their Reps on Thursday while buying the Operation Icestorm and you could tell he was overwhelmed by how successful they had been.

My Demos in the gaming hall drew a lot of positive attention. Some people REALLY loved the game. Uncharted Seas had a positive reaction as well and Sunday I saw a guy assembling his new fleet. DW had an impressive game as well.

It was good to have Vanguards of all games but DL there pushing the games but I wish we could have done more.

I talked to Carlos briefly toward the end of the day on Thursday and he seemed truly astonished at how much had sold by that point.  Wisely, they immediately made plans for extending the online order window for the Limited edition products.

And I should have been at a FA demo on Saturday Morning, but instead stood in line for ultimately non-existent wizkids products I had been unable to get on days prior.

I talked to Carlos briefly toward the end of the day on Thursday and he seemed truly astonished at how much had sold by that point.  Wisely, they immediately made plans for extending the online order window for the Limited edition products.

And I should have been at a FA demo on Saturday Morning, but instead stood in line for ultimately non-existent wizkids products I had been unable to get on days prior.

Ah I heard about this from a guy on Warseer, apparantly there were a few issues with Wizkids.

CLAP! -

Who does your FLGS use for distribution?  My own uses a few different distributors, and at least one of them - Warpath - carries Spartan Games products.

Not sure, his bread and butter are Comics and Heroclix so its probably a comic distributor.  He is a really small shop.

Wow, that sounds fairly horrific.

Welcome to Wizkids... a company that just DEPLORES decent gamers, and only embraces OCD, collector, nut-jobs.  

Balance?  What is balance?  Please chase down this month's newest $100, over-priced "exclusive" chase, super-broken thing that you need.  Thanks.

Oh, and the above?  I just literally described their attitude across every single game they make.

Fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice....

Going out on a limb, completely unscientific, purely anecdotal.......

The Roll Call thread: http://community.spartangames.co.uk/index.php?/topic/5765-roll-call/page-7#entry200295

This thread shows far more American players registered than any other market. This pertains to Firestorm Armada only and only those users who chose to place their name on the list. It is quite compelling though.

I would be curious what the actual registered forum users would show if broken down by country.

Only a foolish person would ignore that kind of anecdotal evidence.

Think about it.

I counter your anecdotal evidence with an anecdotal question - how many gamers per head of capita in each of these countries does this data represent? :)

But yeah, there is such a thing as over marketing. The frustration felt by our American posters here is a mere drop in the ocean compared to the negative public opinion if SG attended Gencon, drummed up a ton of interest, then couldn't satisfy the demand for their products because as mentioned they are a small company. We have had several mentions on these boards of all staff chipping in to cover packing and distribution on a big release - maybe the decision to not go is a measured, thought out one to make sure their reach doesn't exceed their grasp?

Our hobby as an industry has a rep for over promising and under delivering (mainly thanks to loads of high profile kickstarter campaigns). I'd rather see a slow and solid expansion from SG than a quick explosion that can't be sustained.

You guys are really missing the point about Gencon, It is all about excitement.  It is a market they really need to open back up.

I live in Atlanta, we have over 6 million people here.  I can tell you That SG has basically died in this town.  We have one game store that carries the product.  Most of the guys I play with which are beta testers, all get their stuff online.

when DW first came out there was a big explosion here and lots of people bought it, and now most of those people sold their stuff, because they feel the company does not really support the game, and especially in the U.S.

I would bet the U.S. consumer spends more per game then any other country.  Hell I know for a fact that in World of Tanks, while a computer game, the U.S. spends a lot more per customer then Russia or Europe, even though both those markets have more players.

I love SG,  its hard to beat their models, and the rules are generally pretty good, and best of all they come at a fair price compared to a game like DZC, but you can not expect the fans to carry the flag.

One of my favorite sayings is "I cant care more about your business then you do"  and that is how, I as a U.S. customer feel about SG!!!

Just my 2 cents..)

To be completely frank, I've seen a lot of ideas from Spartan that got people excited and haven't yet come to fruition.    

• The Uncharted Seas Skirmish game.  
  • The Faust (and many other units/ideas) for Dystopian Legions.  
  • Firestorm Invasion in 3 (now Planetfall / SpecOps in 2 ) different scales.
  • MDF terrain for Dystopian Legions.

People have also been put off by the Uncharted Seas resculpts, the FA resculpts, The Planetfall Resculpts, the seemingly continuous re-boxing of Dystopian Wars units into one formation or another, the multiple editions of rules for each system in rapid succession, and the lack of stats for new DW units translated to Armoured Clash.  But the stuff Spartan does produce is gorgeous to behold and fun to play, so people like me keep checking back in.

Spartan is the anti-GW.  They have a bad habit of showing concepts too far in advance of release, before the models or even the game for which they're intended are remotely ready for prime-time.  I'd be happy to get a preview 8 weeks out, followed by a pre-order announcement and then the release.   Spartan has a lot going on.  They really need to maintain focus on all of their systems by providing regular (not necessarily monthly) releases for all of them, and keep the community more informed about what's going on with the games that aren't getting the releases at the moment.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm a huge geek for tabletop miniature games, and Spartan makes some of the nicest stuff available right now.  I understand the desire to stand up and say "hey everyone, look at this Cool New Thing we are doing."  But doing so without making it clear that it's not coming anytime soon is what has caused the most ire in these parts.

@Firelord44 : One point. If all the players are buying online, local stores are not seeing that income.

Without the income, they have no incentive to order Spartan products.

Without stock, new prospective players will not be aware that they can get the game (or even be aware it exists).

Also, without local store support, you're much less likely to see the game being played at local stores.  And knowledge that a game is actually being played is a very important consideration when a potential customer is deciding whether or not to take the plunge into a new game.

Most people don't want to shell out a lot of money for a game that no one in their area plays.

Really guys, everybody bought from the stores orginally, people stopped playing because of a perception of lack of support, and the stores stopped carrying it. Once that happened the only way to get it was online. Stop being a fanboy and listen to the facts.

Perceptions of lack of support can be crippling for sure, but a game needs both support from the producing company and local support to thrive.

I'm not being a fanboy by dismissing a lack of support, but going to Gencon would not likely change local perceptions.

Look at GW - they are still making lots of money (i.e. have sales), but in some areas they are functionally dead. Replaced with other games that locally do well.

Even if Spartan never went to another gaming convention ever again and stopped all advertising and community support they could still do well in a local scene if the store owner carried the products.

It would obviously do better with community, ads and conventions, but if local players stop playing at the stores and the store owner stops carrying it - clearly it won't do well.

So how about a compromise. At big cons why not organize it from England, send over banners and the like. Then have it staffed by Vanguards. There are companys that specialize in setting up and tearing down booths for cons. Spartan stated that they do not like to sell merchandise at shows so they are not competing with retailers. So how about contacting retailers that will be at the show and setting up an agreement that they will carry a set amount of merchandise. Then you send all interested parties to that retailers booth. Yes my ides would still cost Spartan some money, but it would be less expensive then flying a staff team out. And we get a Spartan presence here in the states.

Thoughts?

Best get buzzing then?  ;)

Work out a strategy to entice your friends into playing Spartans games and spread the contagion that is Spartan Games :)

The trouble with this approach is that he games market is awash with new products over the last few years, and no matter how good a product is, if the support is not there from the company then I am not going to put my limited gaming budget into that product.

I am from the UK but made the trip to Gencon this year and was really surprised that SG were not present, not to say a little disappointed. I did find the FSA demo games.....on day 4.

I run a Firestorm site (link in sig) and try to create material when I can (there isn't enough of it out there!). I also try to play at the FLGS whenever I can. The publisher can only do so much, and it's up to players to do the rest by getting people excited about whatever game they play. Generally, people like to be part of a "thing": it's why some games are popular and some aren't, and why the iPhone suddenly became popular in Japan after a period of non-interest (the underlying factors aren't so far apart).

I still think that a Spartan booth at an overseas convention could only lead to great things, though (imagine if Planetfall were to have a big launch party at Essen!).