Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Drogmir

Light Battle Report- KoB vs Prussia

Hi folks so my friend and I managed to get a game down the other day, this was more or less our first real outing with the game. We had bought minis about a year ago but never got around to actually playing the game.

So we decided to have a double day of Legions and Helldorado on the side, all of the terrain was made by my friend. So I'll just summarize what happened and what we thought. 

Also the pictures I have are a little big so forgive me for being lazy and not wanting to downsize them. 

10484239_843396765680235_541120797924189

So is how the game was initially set up, the statue in the center was our objective. We decided to call this a 125 pt game. Also my friend wanted to show off his terrain so we put down a lot more terrain than a normal game would call for. The ruins are difficult terrain, the walls are hard cover, and the rubble is just rubble.

10498546_843397689013476_883202714604044

Closer look at my friend's Prussians. They are huge models. 

10498069_843397725680139_537084161573738

So I use my turn to fly my Sky Hussars giving me the benefit of -1 for elusive target and -1 for flying. The Knights manage to shoot one out of the sky (the poor blighter) but for the most part they're ok.

10575435_843397745680137_309032893966956

Next turn in my sky hussars move a little and bring on the fiery pain which turns out is not that painful against the knights. Oops.

10498305_843397839013461_206155949419602

Meanwhile my line and his line have been exchanging shots all day behind hard cover. Awfully poor sports we are. 

10603845_843397872346791_292932347165032

Some incredibly poor rolling lead to my friend's troops missing most of their shots, his Obst. also shot his gun instead of charging (his mistake). I got a card that allowed me to place a shaken marker as long as I did some damage. So the Knights got a shaken marker on them, and then failed their command check causing them to fall back and gain another shaken marker.

It's at this point that my friend decided to concede the game since he felt that with the Knights on the rope and at least a third of his main line dead he didn't really have a chance at winning.

10575181_843397892346789_388947525919779

So the Britannians are victorious and there was a pot of tea shared for all combatants left.

--------------------

Overall we enjoyed the game, but we realized we played with way too much terrain on the board. Leading to a kind of almost WWI trench warfare between the 2 main sections.

We liked the card system and the planning your turn ahead of time.

We didn't feel like command with it's roll 3 dice thing and use command to bump up color was superior than the standard roll 2 dice under your leadership that most other table top games employ.

Also this game felt that it would have liked for us to have more sections and actually enjoyed larger battles rather than the smaller one we played.

But we enjoyed it nonetheless.  

Great report! Thanks for posting it!

Also - where did you get that mat from?

Thanks we got it from a company called Tablewar.

It's slightly pricey we think it's a sound investment if you play a lot of at home mini games or if you don't have a lot of properly modeled tables. 

It was a very good battle report. I am definitely of the opinion that the game doesn't really start getting fun until higher point values, but then again I've never been a person to really enjoy skirmish games or low point ones.

I do say that I think you may have had a bit of a different idea of your game if the Hussars had gone up against the grenadiers and the Line Infantry and HMGs working on the Teutonic Knights, especially with access to the Focus Fire command ability and Musician.

The Hussars help by reducing the cover granted to the Grenadiers, their flame throwers would have caused a lot of damage, and they can mop up in melee later on.

It was a very good battle report. I am definitely of the opinion that the game doesn't really start getting fun until higher point values, but then again I've never been a person to really enjoy skirmish games or low point ones.

I do say that I think you may have had a bit of a different idea of your game if the Hussars had gone up against the grenadiers and the Line Infantry and HMGs working on the Teutonic Knights, especially with access to the Focus Fire command ability and Musician.

The Hussars help by reducing the cover granted to the Grenadiers, their flame throwers would have caused a lot of damage, and they can mop up in melee later on.

Yeah in retrospect I had forgotten that Sky Hussar spray and pray would put their hard cover down by 1. 

My main plan was to use my Sky Hussars to keep the knights occupied in a sort of sacrificial lamb way while I used my HMG and Line to devastate the Prussian line. I actually had the musician card on me during turn 2.

This all changed however when I actually played the card my friend had a card that troll cancelled the effects of other cards, so that plan went to waste. 

Meanwhile my Sky Hussars were already committed to the plan in a way. So I dedicated most of my more offensive cards to their use against the knights, which turned out to pay off by the end. I was telling him how actually it's really hard to put a shaken marker on the knights normally since they have such a high IR/KR that losing 2/3 knights in 1 shooting phase would be hard to do, or gaining the upper hand in melee. So it was really my luck that I had a card that did that and his bad luck that his activation came after and he rolled so poorly on his command check.

One thing I noticed at least for Brits was that I was swimming in command points, so even though my NCO's would use double command for cards I had plenty to give out. We both agreed though that our characters were fairly useless other than being command point generators. At least the Lt. has some nice orders on them to benefits the troops, both of our Characters seemed to have self serving abilities on them, or in my case Captain Smethington had anti-shaken marker things that never came into play. I feel that Colonel MacDonald would be a better investment imo.

I was really quite glad that hard cover walls were there too actually because I had mis measured my initial movement and found that our lines were actually sitting in the 3rd range band and so I had my alpha strike long range shooting ability go to waste as a result. So in the end we were just exchanging shots and it just so happened I lucked out with my dice more times. (My friend had decided to drop his medic which I bet that he was regretting came around turn 3).

But yeah we agreed that next time we play we'll prob be proxying a secondary line section for both of our armies. Landwher and Blackwatch.   

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.