Wonderdog

Planetfall news and pic's from Claymore 2014!

They must work pretty hard in the office to keep on top of rules for so many games.

I wasn't sure if it was Kosher to mention other games. Yeah Star Wars Armada, Imperial Assault, the 3rd X Wing faction coming out too, as well as Warzone Resurrection. And this. Really loving everything about the models for PF. I don't normally buy new games when they come out, I wait a little and for releases to come out a bit, and see what people have to say, etc, but I'm gonna buy into this immediately.

Sorry I have been gone for a little while.  This thread went from 3 pages to 18 really fast.  This is not a complaint but a question.  Do you guys think the MECH walkers are a little two big for scale?  They seem to drawf the other cool models.  Just a thought, would it be better if they were like 25% smaller??

Your Thoughts??

My thought is that they are a "catch" size, that makes them look imposing and *ahem* epic for this game, while looking like proper *ahem* titans on the battle-field.  I think they have a great table presence and will absolutely buy at least on per each faction.

As to the comment about the Pathogen... I utterly agree.  When buying into Firestorm Armada I urgently wished they were a full faction, and for Planetfall they would 100% be my main.  I tend to play endless waves of cannon-fodder space-bugs in... other games, so the opportunity to do similarly in this game would be a dream-come-true.

OH man Pathogen in Planetfall would be cool.  I think that faction would be the hardest one to do.  You can do it but easily do it bad but if done well that stuff will sell like crazy.  Will Corsairs look like Jabba the Hutt speeders?  So will we get anything new with PF this week?  

Sorry I have been gone for a little while.  This thread went from 3 pages to 18 really fast.  This is not a complaint but a question.  Do you guys think the MECH walkers are a little two big for scale?  They seem to drawf the other cool models.  Just a thought, would it be better if they were like 25% smaller??

Your Thoughts??

Imo any "mech" that can't hide behind something the size of a tank is to big...

I thought Spartan said earlier that we were going to get an update today... *still looking for PF info*... Nope nothing yet...

I strongly suspect they are putting their poor, beleaguered website back together. There was a bit of a horrible apocalyptic crash over the weekend.

I strongly suspect they are putting their poor, beleaguered website back together. There was a bit of a horrible apocalyptic crash over the weekend.

The 'Great Crash of 2014'  I'm already trying to market tshirts and hats for it.  So far no one wants to buy one.

Yeah I had noticed that the home page looked like it was designed by a scrambled egg, and the forums went dark for a bit. Didn't bother me much, I just went and glued together the rest of my old Terquai ships.

I actually think the dragon is really cool... for dystopian wars... with its... magic... science? I just don't think there is a place for anything quite so silly in the Firestorm universe. 

Firestorm is a bit more 'plausible'.  And you're right, that dragon thing fits in with the aesthetic perfectly for DW.

Firestorm is a bit more 'plausible'.  And you're right, that dragon thing fits in with the aesthetic perfectly for DW.

• Way too easy FTL and FTLC
  • A ridiculous number of sentient species per square foot of space.
  • Space ships that are far larger than they need to be and...
  • Are built in incredibly inefficient ways, and...
  • Move like aquatic vessels, rather than space-ships.
  • Not to mention gun ranges that make very little sense and...
  • Missiles that travel as fast as lasers and sublight railguns.

Yeah. Real plausible.

I'm not trying to knock FSA. It's a great game. But it's really not a lot more plausible than flying dragon robots.

• Way too easy FTL and FTLC
  • A ridiculous number of sentient species per square foot of space.
  • Space ships that are far larger than they need to be and...
  • Are built in incredibly inefficient ways, and...
  • Move like aquatic vessels, rather than space-ships.
  • Not to mention gun ranges that make very little sense and...
  • Missiles that travel as fast as lasers and sublight railguns.

Only because I enjoy a challenge:

-FTL simultaneous existence of particles that fall through Quantum matter means that FTL is possible, at least on the sub-atomic level.

-Sentient life, in a galaxy as big as ours, is not outside the realm of possibility, and considering that our Universe has 170 billion galaxies in it, I'm frankly surprised we haven't tripped over alien life yet, despite our best probe having only very recently left the solar terminator.

-Ship size is not limited in space, what has always limited construction in space is the ability to lift payload to orbit.  Without the hassle of breaking out of the gravity well of a planet, massive constructions are possible, and economical, to build in space.  Volume is at a premium on everything we currently launch into space, if we could build massive ships with huge stores for fuel and supplies, we would!

-See above

-Newtonian physics govern stuff in space, it's true, but then again the idea of riding solar wind in space seems like a throwback to the age of sail.  Yet NASA has plans to do just that.  :D

-Abstracted for game purposes I'm sure.  Otherwise we'd all put our models down on tables in our respective homes, call up the LGS and say that we were shooting at the ship on the third table...  Ranges are abstracted in every tabletop.

-A ship travelling close to C that launches a missile with a drive unit will have said missile move even faster, getting closer and closer to C, to the point where the missile may as well be moving just as fast as a laser.  If the missile is travelling at close to C, on a closing target, in theory the closure rate might even exceed C!  Same with railgun shells launched from a vessel.  If two ships are pursuing each other, and one fires to the aft at the other one, while the closure rate might be near C, the actual projectile would be traveling backwards relative to a static observer!  And my favourite, a missile filed to the rear into a pursuing enemy is actually decelerating into its target to increase the closure speed!

-FTL simultaneous existence of particles that fall through Quantum matter means that FTL is possible, at least on the sub-atomic level.

-Sentient life, in a galaxy as big as ours, is not outside the realm of possibility, and considering that our Universe has 170 billion galaxies in it, I'm frankly surprised we haven't tripped over alien life yet, despite our best probe having only very recently left the solar terminator.

-Ship size is not limited in space, what has always limited construction in space is the ability to lift payload to orbit.  Without the hassle of breaking out of the gravity well of a planet, massive constructions are possible, and economical, to build in space.  Volume is at a premium on everything we currently launch into space, if we could build massive ships with huge stores for fuel and supplies, we would!

-See above

-Newtonian physics govern stuff in space, it's true, but then again the idea of riding solar wind in space seems like a throwback to the age of sail.  Yet NASA has plans to do just that.  :D

-Abstracted for game purposes I'm sure.  Otherwise we'd all put our models down on tables in our respective homes, call up the LGS and say that we were shooting at the ship on the third table...  Ranges are abstracted in every tabletop.

-A ship travelling close to C that launches a missile with a drive unit will have said missile move even faster, getting closer and closer to C, to the point where the missile may as well be moving just as fast as a laser.  If the missile is travelling at close to C, on a closing target, in theory the closure rate might even exceed C!  Same with railgun shells launched from a vessel.  If two ships are pursuing each other, and one fires to the aft at the other one, while the closure rate might be near C, the actual projectile would be traveling backwards relative to a static observer!

Hm...

1) Yes, but a space ship full of dudes is not a sub-atomic particle.

2) While there may be a great many sentient species in the universe, or even the galaxy, remember that Firestorm Armada takes place in a relatively small area of space: Earth, the Storm Zone colonies (now the Dindrenzi Federation), and the Rift. And in that space there are... what? A dozen sentient species? That's way too many for such a small area.

3) I'm not sure that the efficiencies of scale would work out that way. Remember that the greater the mass, the more fuel you need to move it, the more fuel you need to move that fuel, and so on and so on. Unless I miss my conjecture, that would make relatively small ships more efficient, because you need less fuel to move them (and thus less fuel to carry that fuel).

4) BUT that's not what the ships in FSA are supposed to be doing. Clever idea for a game... but it's not going to stand up in this debate!

5) Fair. But... that's still the game they made. Hard sci-fi space games aren't impossible, and they might well be fun. Spartan decided to make this kind of (unrealistic) space game, and it's also fun.

6) That doesn't change the fact that the missile and the laser are traveling at the same speed over differences such that even fast missiles should take time to cross the board (like in BFG).

1) Still Plausible!

2) Alpha Centauri is only 4 or so LY away, and we've already found evidence of planets that might sustain life there.  In our own system, some of Saturn's moons might even have life on them!

3) True, but you also run into the laws of diminishing returns.  A starship will need serious power to fire a weapons system, you'd need reactors of some type, and those tend to be big and heavy.  For a naval analogue, you could in theory, weaponize a canoe, but you'd lose performance as you start weighing it down with defensive systems, power source, offensive systems, etc, and you'd be limited by the volume available to you.  In space, you could run smaller ships, but their destructive capability would be limited by the volume you constrained them to.  A destroyer in space could put out some firepower, but it would be no match for a cruiser mounting more armour, weapons, etc.  To continue with the naval analogue, a lot of people have a misconception about battleships, they were huge, well armed and armoured, but they were not slow.  They could book it at 28 knots or more, easily keeping pace with cruisers of the time.

4) I don't have a cogent counterpoint at this time, the beginnings of one yes, but not coherent.

5) Attack vector Tactical is pretty hard core sci-fi, but it still abstracts ranges.

6) But a "turn" represents a given time period of battle.  Has five minutes passed? Has ten?  An abstraction that makes sense, and reduces bookkeeping in my opinion.  A lot of naval games do away with torpedo markers for just this reason, as a turn tends to be 6 minutes (ten turns to an hour) and only the longest ranged torpedo shots tend to take more then six minutes to impact.

Anyway, I am off to sleep, was fun!

Paladin- For all we know, the universe should be teeming with life, including intelligent. Maybe we're just unlucky, having real estate in the middle of galactic nowhere...as for FTL, once you figure out any technology it ceases to be hard. As for the rest...game conventions. If you played Flames of War you'd think World War 2 was a mix between napoleonic gunline and roman legions fighting.

Also it has never been stated that the FSA universe is our own reality.  In the FSA reality physics does not work the same and that gives the game a lot more plausibility.  Think of it more like in "a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away" and everything works much better.  It is also a lot like putting on netflix and enjoying the hell our of the bad movies.  Ya they will never stand up to scrutiny but did you enjoy them, sure.  

Oh yummie, now where did I leave the popcorn... :lol:

DW is Science Fantasy while FSA is (supposed to be) Science Fiction, but a lot of people don't seem to understand the difference between fantasy and fiction.