Sign in to follow this  
bearsoldier

robot assault

So was reading the rules last night about Robot boarding for my group hasn't ran into this before and wanted to make sure I had the rules down.

so If my Ika assaults a vessel that it did not shoot at then it would send its 8 AP across the apposing vessel would gets AA vs the 8 ap and anything that survives would then roll their dice against the CR and DR of the apposing vessel doing damage accordingly with out the defending vessel being able to appose my AP with their defending AP. If I roll enough to do damage then this would be applied to the defending vessel and my IKA would have any remaining AP not killed by the defending vessels AA. 

sorry if that is convoluted but just wanted to make sure I had the robot rules down before playing with this in my next game. 

The Ika is probably my favorite EotBS model.  Here is how I understood robot boarding as described.

When the Ika makes a boarding attempt, the ship may defensive AA.  However that AA does -not- go against the Ika's AP but rather goes against the Ika's DR.  After that, the Ika rolls it's boarding attack.  The Ika does not lose AP except through critical results (I believe) because the AP doesn't actually represent marines, it represents the robots ability to brawl with something.

To be fair, the JH is supposed to be more gunnery platform than assault platform. I prefer the Freedom+Parent combo. It forces the opponent into a corner with what to shoot their anti boarding fire at (even more fun with the terror tactics card)

Thats a good point, I like that. 

I'd been wondering what would recommend the Freedoms over the Springfields. Sharpshooters and 2AP each is pretty powerful, especially since its cheaper. 

But the enhanced Broadsides and Rockets and AP wouldn't be bad either. 

One thing is clear, if your model gets assaulted by a robot squadron or a large robot, you are pretty much screwed, unless you roll a lucky -AP critical or even destroy the opponent, since your AA cannot reduce the AP of the robot.

I am thinking about getting an Ika for my Black Wolf fleet.

Really? I asked the question about cc vs diving models boarding when 2.0 came out and the answer was if you board something with a diving model you use your cc as defensive fire, that was the case in 1.1 also. Unless im missing something.

Really? I asked the question about cc vs diving models boarding when 2.0 came out and the answer was if you board something with a diving model you use your cc as defensive fire, that was the case in 1.1 also. Unless im missing something.

When the model is diving while it is boarding (which I can't call off the top of my head what 'can' do this) you use CC against it. But since the Ika is not diving while it is boarding it is on the surface you use AA.

Ironically in 1.1 it was always better to be shot at by CC but since CC now has Crushing Impact, it might in many cases be better to take the AA.

Don't forget the Ika's AP won't be used against the target ship's AP, either.  There's no more derelicting ships with the Ika or other robots.  It just uses its AP as another attack, going for DR and CR as normal.

Also don't forget the Ika's Rugged Construction will take 1 AA die away from the attack on it.  And won't the anti-boarding AA need 5's and red 6 to hit?

Section D6, Page 175 in the Commodore Rulebook covers the AA question.

Since the Ilka does not have the Aquatic Assault MAR, it cannot initiate a Boarding Combat while submerged therefore AA rather than CC is used in defense but the AA to hit will be 4,5,6.

Would not any HP damage done by the Ika's fore guns also degrade the target's AA prior to the target model being able to use it's AA defensively? In other words, is robot assault worked out after all direct firing of P/S/T weapons has been resolved?

Would not any HP damage done by the Ika's fore guns also degrade the target's AA prior to the target model being able to use it's AA defensively? In other words, is robot assault worked out after all direct firing of P/S/T weapons has been resolved?

Correct, it does. The shooting is a separate attack, before the boarding, so is resolved first.  Rolls of 2 or 12 at this point can be highly amusing......Arrange the words 'far too many Uwatsu',  'Ika Rolling hot' and 'Aristotle Battleship with a sense of direction' into a memorable way to change the course of a game

It is one of the scarey things about assaults by large robots.The target get shot, its AA drops, then it has to try and get to the CR of 8+ to even  have a chance of  affecting the assault that is about to happen....

James