Bolstrood

Basic 'to hit' values

I was going over the ' to hit' values table in section c5 and interpret that firers from the obscured level need a red six to hit targets in the stratospheric level. It seems as if firers from the obscured level should not have as difficult a time to hit targets in the stratospheric level as firers from the surface or flying level would. Since the firing model is only separated by only one height level, would it not be possible to alter the 'to hit' value up to five and red six? I feel that the basic 'to hit' values table was written to determine a quick and easy way to determine what number is required to hit, and that my questioning the table would probably only muddy up the process. I just wanted to see what other's opinions would be on the issue. As far as I know, I may be misinterpreting the 'to hit' values table.

I'll explain why we used the basic to hit values in the way we did

Modifiers based on the number of height levels simply didn't work, or feel right.

For example, one obvious one would be -1 to hit for each height levels difference. So fliers and surface units hit each other on 5's, but two subs can hit each other on 4's?  That is simply not right.

--------------------------------------------

How about submerged/obscured being -1 to hit, and deep diving/stratospheric being -2?

But all modifers stack, so shooting a stratospheric model with an Obscured model  is at -3, whilst shooting it with something on the flying level is at -2. That is not right either.

------------------------------------------------

So how about a table detailing the basic to hit numbers, with some tweaks as the original poster suggest?

That would be a table something like the one  roughed out below, with 36 entries, rather than the current 5

.....................Stratospheric....Obscured......Flying....Surface....Submerged....Deep diving

Stratospheric........a......................b.......................c...........d...............e........................f

Obscured .............a......................b.......................c...........d...............e........................f

Flying,,,,,,,,.............a......................b.......................c...........d...............e........................f

Surface .................a......................b.......................c...........d...............e........................f

Submerged............a......................b.......................c...........d...............e........................f

Deep diving............a......................b.......................c...........d...............e........................f

That's a big table, for very little gain.

Also it is hard to memorize, but the current one is so simple that after using it about three times, you've fairly much learnt it.

So the simple  5 entry basic to hit table it is.

James

Thanks for the detailed reply Bunnahabhain. As I earlier stated, I figured that the current table was chosen for it's simplicity. And it is definitely easy to memorize, but so was the hit matrix used by GW. I only brought up the subject because I was wondering why two models occupying the same height level, outside of the surface or flying level, should not be able to score hits on 4+, or even 5+ (In reference to the stratospheric and deep diving levels) to account for the lack of clarity one would expect to enjoy in the surface or flying level.

As always, thanks for your input.

I don't have my rules to hand but could be as easy as follows.

Same level = 4+

Difference of 1 height level = 5+ (-1)

Difference of 2 height levels =6+ (-2)

Difference of 3 height levels =7+ (-3)

Obscured/submerged = -1

Deep diving/stratospheric =-1

These are modified by MARS as normal.

Difference of 4+ height levels can not be hit.

think of it along the lines of-

• obscured- the cloud cover is interfering with getting a good shot. we can "wing" the target, but hitting anything vital is going to be more by luck
  • Stratospheric- god damn, my hands are shaking. why is it the boffins can design an engine that won't stall-out at this height, but can't invent a decent heating system? f+++ my goggles have fogged up again.

think of it along the lines of-

• obscured- the cloud cover is interfering with getting a good shot. we can "wing" the target, but hitting anything vital is going to be more by luck
  • Stratospheric- god damn, my hands are shaking. why is it the boffins can design an engine that won't stall-out at this height, but can't invent a decent heating system? f+++ my goggles have fogged up again.

The deeper you go in the water, the differences in density actually mess with sonar and magnetic sensors betweeen 'layers' (there's a specific depth where the salinity shifts and causes a huge change).

At these depths your sonar man is in a creaking can that he's afraid might bust any minute while he's listening for engine noise and movement.

I have a question concerning the to hit modifiers in that context.

Over the chart on page 113 with the Basic "to hit values" is mentioned, that either the hight level of firer oder attacker is taken for reference. Does that mean, that the hunter rule of a submerged model works against a target at the surface level? 

As these are basic to-hit numbers, are SAS affected? For attack runs, the book states that they have a to-hit number of 4+, affected by modifiers and "To Hit" mechanics as normal. Does '"To Hit" mechanics' in the rulebook mean the basic hit numbers for height level?

(So are SASs affected by their target being obscured or not?)

As these are basic to-hit numbers, are SAS affected? For attack runs, the book states that they have a to-hit number of 4+, affected by modifiers and "To Hit" mechanics as normal. Does '"To Hit" mechanics' in the rulebook mean the basic hit numbers for height level?

(So are SASs affected by their target being obscured or not?)

Yes, they are affected by their targets height level.

Another thing which suddenly popped up yesterday:

Since most modifiers do add up, is it correct that the primary weapon of a capital class model will hit a small target in RB1 on 6?

and

Elusive target means that "non-capitals" hit on -1. Does this apply to smalls, too?

Thanks in advance